Ortho Medical / Surgical Nurse Manager
Location: New York City / Brooklyn
Organization: Acute Care Hospital
Overview: Responsible and accountable for quality of nursing care and unit management on a 24/7 basis. Fosters an effective work environment for interdisciplinary teamwork, patient satisfaction and staff satisfaction. Serves as a role model and resource to all staff.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Develops unit objectives on a yearly basis and submits progress reports as required.
2. Plans for unit staffing needs on a long term and short term basis, adjusts these appropriately according to GRASP nursing workload system and other staffing variables to maintain safe, efficient care in an effective manner.
3. Prepares staff schedules in a timely manner. Monitors appropriate use of benefit time. Completes time cards for timely and correct payroll. Approves overtime.
4. Monitors unit staffing to budget, overtime/agency usage and provides justification as needed.
5. Interviews potential staff members and recommends hiring of applicants with appropriate skills and behavior in collaboration with recruitment.
6. Counsels and coaches staff concerning their work performance and development: holds staff accountable for performance.
7. Evaluates work performance and clinical competency of personnel on a timely basis and makes recommendation for promotions, transfers, and discharge. Takes corrective and/or disciplinary action with staff in collaboration with the nursing director and Human Resources.
8. Collaborates with Materials Management Department for appropriate supplies and equipment and ensures proper utilization and maintenance of supplies and equipment on unit.
9. Maintains effective, ongoing and timely communication with staff and maintains records of meetings.
10. Communicates with peers, staff, patients, families and physicians clearly and professionally.
11. Makes recommendations for staffing, supply and capital budget needs of the unit. Monitors unit budget in collaboration with Clinical Director. Participates in annual staffing plan/budget review process.
12. Utilizes effective conflict-resolution strategies when dealing with staff, physicians and family members.
13. Established pleasant work environment conducive to teamwork, growth and recognition.
14. Assimilates the Hospital's core values-compassion dignity, integrity, service – throughout all processes and interactions.
15. Participates in unit, departmental and hospital-based councils/activities/special projects.
16. Serves as a liaison to all other departments in the Hospital System and demonstrates effective teambuilding and problem-solving strategies in interactions.
17. Acts as a resource to staff for regulatory and policy matters.
18. Provides divisional coverage as needed.
19. Performs other duties as assigned or volunteered in alignment with the Hospital's mission, goals and values.
1. Facilitates and ensures orientation of personnel to the unit. Plans cooperatively with the instructor, CNS, preceptor and new employee for experience needed to perform competently.
2. Coordinates staff competency plan in collaboration with nursing education.
3. Cooperates with instructors of affiliating schools in planning the clinical experience of nursing students.
4. Makes recommendations for staff educational needs and plans educational activities independently and in conjunction with others. Participates in the clinical and leadership development of employees in his/her area. Maintains accurate records, and evaluates effectiveness of activities.
5. Shares new knowledge with staff and peers.
- Identifies and meets learning needs in order to maintain competency and respond to new clinical and management expectations.
- BSN required; MS preferred
Minimum Experience/Requirements :
- 3-5 years nursing experience with one year in related clinical area.
- Demonstrated leadership ability in a management role, including written and oral communication skills, interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- Willingness to devote the time required completing assigned tasks on schedule.
- Required License, Registration, Certification: NYS RN license and registration
For a copy of the formal job description, compensation and other employer details, please submit your resume and contact information on the right.