Behavioral Health Nurse Manager
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Organization: Acute Care Hospital
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
The Nurse Manager is accountable for the daily operations of the unit(s) to include staffing, productivity, and service recovery. In addition, this position is available to mentor and develop staff, interface with other departments to assure patient throughput, and collaborate with the professional development department to assess and identify the learning needs of the staff. The manager utilizes both clinical and leadership skills to identify opportunities for performance improvement. The manager participates in the selection, evaluation, and coaching of unit employees.
CORE COMPETENCIES/CRITICAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborates with the Director to maintain a competent staff through the selection process, orientation to the unit, competency development, and ongoing performance management. Identifies yearly competencies through interaction with staff and professional development department and facilitates completion of competencies.
- Manages yearly personnel and supply budget. Maintains unit operations within established FY budget. Assists in the development of the capital equipment budget for assigned unit.
- Interfaces with the Nursing Supervisor, Social Workers, Case Managers, physicians, emergency department and inpatient units to improve patient throughput through appropriate and timely patient placement and discharge.
- Monitors productivity and adjusts staffing based on volume and acuity. Administers and monitors unit expenditures, implementing corrective action(s) to resolve budget variances.
- Plans and organizes unit based Performance Improvement activities. Responds to issues with staff, patients, and physicians as immediately possible. Leads and participates in PI teams and patient satisfaction efforts on the unit(s) and the hospital as a whole.
- Ensures that unit staffs adhere to all internal and external regulatory requirements. Works with staff to understand the regulatory standards and professional standards of nursing practice.
- Participates in the establishment of unit based goals and objectives as well as the overall Nursing Operational Plan. Provides leadership for unit based goals and participate in patient care initiatives as requested.
- Demonstrates a commitment to shared governance, clinical excellence, and the values of the hospital.
- Develops strong interpersonal relationships on the unit, with peers, physicians and all partners throughout the system.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing is required with a Master’s Degree preferred.
- A minimum of three years experience in nursing supervision as a coordinator, charge nurse or manager.
- Licensed RN is required.
- The ability to compile objective and measurable data and produce written reports is required.
- The ability to develop and communicate written policies and procedures is required.
- High level of competency with computers and computer software such as MS Office or equivalent is required. Specifically, the ability to perform data and statistical analysis using Microsoft Excel or equivalent is required.
- Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal and public speaking skills are required.
For a copy of the formal job description, compensation and other employer details, please submit your resume and contact information on the right.